Graffiti Collection
Best Graffiti
New Graffiti

Monday, November 10, 2008

Nanny's Ring Recycled



My grandmother had seriously gorgeous rings, given to her by my grandfather. Visits to see my grandparents included playing hairdresser with the vanity set on Nanny's dresser, pulling out her handbags from the storage cabinet, and trying on her rings. I recall I was allowed to wear them only while sitting at the table, usually following a big Sunday dinner. There might be cheesecake or a plate of Italian pastries on the table and there was always a bowl filled with whole nuts and fresh fennel (good for digestion). We played a game called Scat and I would feel very glamorous holding my cards with fingers weighed down by the rings. Most of the styles featured diamonds set in white gold settings and the one I loved most was the cocktail ring on her middle finger. In her later years, she gifted this ring to my aunt, who removed the diamonds and used them for a more contemporary ring design that suited her own style. I was there when she returned from the jeweler and we gathered round to compliment her on the pretty new ring. I couldn't help but mention that I had also loved the original design. "Do you want it?" she asked. She handed me the plastic bag from the jeweler that held the remaining shape of the ring, with no stones and shaved down prongs. It looked a little sad. But maybe there was hope for it, I thought. I held on to it for several years and finally brought it to a jewelry repair guy recommended to me by an antique shop where I've found some great vintage pieces of jewelry. I told him I pictured a recycled version, this one filled with pearls, and he went ahead and transformed it for me. I still feel a bit like a little girl who should wear it only while sitting at the table, but I'll venture out with it when I'm feeling glam.

No comments:

Post a Comment