Graffiti Collection
Best Graffiti
New Graffiti

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Farewell to Heel Hell


The sneakered legs in the photo above belong to a dancer at a Palm Springs nightclub. He was busting moves on a platform, wearing only sneakers and a pair of snug briefs that were stuffed with folded up bills from the loyal following of mostly fellows at the club (plus a smattering of women out for bachelorette nights), but I was more interested in his choice of footwear than anything else. He was wearing sensible shoes! The most fashionable footwear choices are rarely the most comfortable. This is not a late breaking news report, but I recently made a visit to my tailor with some jeans that had been folded up and neglected in my closet because they were hemmed to be worn with heels. It takes a lot to get me into a pair of heels these days and it felt liberating to make this concession and to admit that I'm tired of unnecessary back pain, shin pain, toe pain, and ball of foot pain. I like to walk in comfort. After taking up the jeans, I parted ways with the heels that had been stuck in shoe boxes at the back of the closet. Well, I held onto two vintage pairs: strappy Chanel heels with signature chain details and an open-toed gold pair of sling-backs—but I'll wear these on special occasions with dresses or skirts (better to show off legs, anyway). I won't go so far as to wear running shoes daily like Mr. Go-Go Palm Springs but I will stick to my kitten heels and cute flats for jeans. Sensible enough. Or, if I decide to go out on a limb and embrace the old-is-new, nod-to-the-80s trend of darted and rolled up cuff jeans, I'll be all set.

No comments:

Post a Comment